Custom ROMs for Android have features that stock Android OS doesn’t offer. Android enthusiasts will not be surprised if I say that the best ROM is CyanogenMod. CM is one of the most stable and robust Android ROM. It has been developed and released for a few handsets, but as the source code is available for download and modification, some developers have launched their version of CM
The variants of Cyanogenmod i.e. Mokee, Resurrection Remix, etc have some features in common, but they’re a lot different. You’ll notice the difference only when you use the CM ROMs. I’ve been using Mokee since a couple of months. I find it better than RR. Here are the top features of Mokee.
RAM management in Mokee
I’ve used three custom ROMs on my Android phone. Mokee offers the best battery backup compared to the other two ROMs. This ROM doesn’t have ads and useless apps which run in the background and waste phone’s necessary resources.
RAM management is easy with Mokee. To kill applications and free up system memory, tap on the button which is aligned to the left side of the home button. Now you’ll see a list of active apps. Tap on the title bar of the app you’re currently using.
If you do so, the app will be locked, and it will not be killed unless someone unlocks it. Do this for other apps you want to use and tap on the clear icon (denoted by three horizontal bars). Mokee ROM will now terminate all free apps.
Apart from this cool task killer module, Mokee allows you to block apps from auto starting when the phone boots or restarts.
Mokee Camera performance
The default camera app of Mokee ROM is intuitive and well designed. It is the native CM nightly app. It has a top bar, focus frame, and a bottom bar. The top bar flaunts options to:
- Enable flash mode.
- Store location in photos.
- Change picture size and quality.
- Change default storage location.
- Adjust the picture quality.
- Enable countdown timer.
- Activate face detection module.
- Change default ISO, exposure, touch focus duration.
- Enable power shutter, red eye reduction, and bright screen.
- Activate HDR mode.
- Apply one or multiple image filters.
- Switch between front and rear camera.
In the bottom bar, you’ll find a button to capture photos or videos, switch to video or image mode and shortcut to open the gallery app.
The camera app’s output is good. Sometimes, it may throw can’t connect to the camera error. To fix this problem, open the app manager (settings->app), force stop the camera app and clear the data and cached files from the storage section.
The major issue with the previous ROMs I’ve used was the OTA function failed to notify me of Android updates. The OTA was not able to detect when newer versions of ROMs were available for download. In Mokee, there’s a Mokee center tool which can be configured to check updates automatically and download the latest release of ROMs. It has a button to check if updates are available or not. If an update has been rolled out, you can download its ZIP file or go through the changelog before downloading it.
Once the Update.zip has been downloaded to your phone, Mokee will automatically install the update for you.
With this tool, you can create new profiles or modify and apply existing system profiles. A profile is nothing button a one click option to:
- Activate a WiFi or Bluetooth account.
- Turn on the GPS, mobile data connection, portable hotspot, ambient display.
- Set preferred network type for an SIM.
- Block notifications.
- Change the default lock screen mode.
- Turn off the notification lights, etc.,
Users are allowed to create as many SPs as they want.
Faster booting to home screen
Some CyanogenMod custom ROMs take a lot of time to boot to the home screen. Mokee doesn’t waste your time. It will open the main screen within 30 seconds of turning on the phone.
- Button and status bar customization.
- Root access for applications.
- Support for third party accessibility and weather services.
- Guest account.
- Privacy Guard tool.
- Phone encryption support.
- Themes and UI customization.
- Custom name for SIM cards.
- CPU/GPU overclocking with the app.
- Live display, casting, ambient display.
- Custom value for LCD pixel density.
- Color inversion.
- The user can change the default location of tiles in the notification panel.
- Gapps support.
- Google Keyboard app.
How to install Mokee ROM on your phone?
Download Mokee ROM from the official website and follow the instructions I’ve shared in the below article:
Mokee ROM Compatible devices
|Device Name||Model Codename|
|Device Name||Model name|
|Mi 1/Mi 1 plus||mione_plus|
|Redmi Note 4G||dior|
|Mi 4/Mi 3w||cancro|
|Moto G 2014 -2015||titan and osprey|
|Moto X 2014||victara|
|Moto E 2014 -2015||otus and surnia|
Conclusion: If you’re using one of the phones mentioned above and if the manufacturer has not launched Android Marshmallow, Kit Kat or Lollipop OS update, then download Mokee ROM and install it.